Course Instructors (Chapter 2 authors):
Senobia Crawford, PT, PhD
Kathryn C. Nesbit, PT, DPT, DSc
Tentative Dates and Times:
Chapter 2 Social Determinants of Health in Pediatric Physical Therapy: Optimizing Health Outcomes
Course Completed- next course available spring of 2024
Course Description and Learning Objectives
An understanding of the influence of social determinants of health on health outcomes in pediatric physical therapy is the basis for effective, equitable and collaborative care. This course will help pediatric physical therapists integrate these considerations as a necessary component of clinical decision making. The first synchronous, 90-minute session will provide definitions of social determinants of health, health equity, and health disparities. This will lead to an exploration of the economic, educational, health care and neighborhood-built environment aspects of social determinants of health, along with the overlapping cultural and structural systems. The focus will be on an upstream perspective of the root causes of health disparities.
The second session will provide strategies for optimizing health outcomes for children and families receiving pediatric physical therapy. This will include strategies for screening for social determinants of health needs, referral to resources, advocacy for public health policy, cultural responsiveness, anti-racism, exploring implicit biases, trauma-informed care, and clinical decision making integrating non-medical factors.
The final session will clarify the intersection of pediatric physical therapy and social determinants of health. The practical strategies to incorporate social determinants of health into pediatric physical therapy patient management will support the clinician in equitable practice and the educator in preparing students to meet the needs of a diverse society.
All participants will be expected to completed brief reading and worksheet assignments prior to synchronous sessions, along with a “capstone” project at the conclusion of the course to demonstrate application of key concepts.
At the completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Critically review Chapter 2
- Describe the upstream perspective of the role of social determinants of health on health disparities in pediatric physical therapy
- Integrate the relevance of social determinants of health screening into pediatric physical therapy practice and/or teaching opportunities.
- Describe opportunities for anti-racism, trauma-informed care, and cultural responsiveness in pediatric physical therapy.
- Describe the intersection of social determinants of health in pediatric physical therapy patient/client management.
- Apply strategies for optimizing health outcomes based on a pediatric physical therapy case focusing on social determinants of health.